Thursday, December 06, 2007

Book Review: “Peeking Over the Edge… views from life’s middle”


Book Review: “Peeking Over the Edge… views from life’s middle” by Cathy Jo Marley
Reviewed By LeeAnn Sharpe

Have you ever opened a new book and suddenly feel as if you are in the company of an old friend? That’s the way “Peeking Over the Edge… views from life’s middle” by Cathy Jo Marley made me feel. She instantaneously became my oldest and dearest and wisest friend telling me stories from her life experiences. Some I would shake my head and think yes, yes, yes, she gets it! Other times I would think, I need to share this wisdom with my daughter.

It’s not a big book, only 163 pages with large enough print even fifty some things can read without their glasses. But I warn you, once you pick it up you won’t want to stop reading. That’s a problem when you pick up a good book like this as you crawl into bed thinking a half an hour will put you to sleep. Two hours later I was finishing it off!

Nothing is off limits. Weight, vanity, aging and family are all discussed. Each chapter is a brief little vignette into her life’s experiences. Each chapter begins with a poetry verse, proverb or quote. Some even have song lyrics and one ends with a recipe. She brings humor into sad situations we all face in life and shows how life goes on, maybe not as we expected, but it goes on.

If you are looking for light hearted optimistic read for someone on your Christmas list, consider going to Cathy Jo Marley’s book signing and get an autographed copy as an extra special gift.

Award-winning Phoenix author Cathy Marley will be signing her heartwarming book, Peeking Over the Edge...views from life’s middle (Infinity Publishing, April, 2006), at two locations in December. The first signing is scheduled at Karen’s Hallmark, 10639 N. 32nd St. in Phoenix, from 10:00 a.m. to noon on Monday December 10. The second signing is scheduled at A Peace of the Universe, 7000 E Shea Blvd, # 1710 in Scottsdale, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturday December 15.

Peeking Over the Edge...views from life’s middle takes a philosophical look at those moments and memories that contribute to a life well lived. Poetically fashioned and emotionally candid, this collection of personal reflections savors the joys of life after 50. As Ms Marley says, “In my writing, I talk about love, self acceptance, connection to the world and the legacy we choose to create for ourselves by the life we live. What I have said here goes beyond my own experience to truths that apply to anyone who has achieved middle age or just hopes to someday.”

Since its introduction in May 2006, Peeking Over the Edge has received high praise. In its Small Press Bookwatch, Midwest Book Review said, “From coping with a hysterectomy, to fondly recalling distant memories, to the luxurious yet tawdry experience of reading "bodice ripper" romances and more, Peeking Over the Edge offers a candid glimpse of the simple moments in life, and the relish of adapting to new changes with aplomb. A wonderful amalgamation of insights into the pleasures of life well lived.”

The first question she raised to which I could relate, and probably anyone over fifty, is “What mark?” That is what mark will I leave on the world? Writers are especially prone to ask the question and even write it down. Some people want to leave a grandiose beautiful mark that everyone stands up and cheers. They are usually artists, actors or politicians. But I like detailed drawings where hundreds of little marks add up to create a full picture. I hope my life of little marks adds up to a beautiful image. I know my main mark, my daughter, is a pretty good contribution toward a life worth living. Cathy Jo Marley offers this book and it is a nice stroke in her life painting.

Body image, family, mush brain, aging, and pack rat life are all things I found in common with Cathy. Her elephant in the room and little beasties leave enough room for anyone to fill in their own animals. Her words resonate in different ways for each person reading her book. She says she began crafting words to reveal her hearts deepest feelings.

Most of all her optimism about the rest of her life and where it has lead her to today made me think and hope for a future open to the possibilities of love and adventure. And it reminded me to stop and smell the roses along the way.

Peeking Over the Edge...views from life’s middle (Infinity Publishing, April, 2006), ISBN 0-7414-3169-6 $14.95

No comments: