Monday, November 12, 2007

Duck and Decanter Dining Review



Dining Review
By Cowgirl Connoisseur
Duck and Decanter

On the way to a movie screening my companion and I stopped by the Duck for a light dinner. My publisher had asked me visit as he had run the notice of their 30th Anniversary Celebration in the last issue of Panorama Hills Monthly. I was curious because I remember years ago my Dad taking clients to “Duck and Decanter” for frequent business lunches. They also catered several office parties and prepared box lunches for business road trips. Yet, I had never been into their establishment.

Duck and Decanter, as it is known today, began in November of 1972 under the new ownership of Dort and Earl Mettler. A specialty food, beverage and retail pioneer, has become a monument in the lives of many valley residents. Providing fresh sandwiches, salads and soups in a unique environment surrounded by specialty foods, cheeses, wine, beer coffee, gift baskets, tea, and giftware.

Was I ever pleasantly surprised to find a shop packed with epicurean delights. Everything from sauces and spreads, dressings and noodles, dinnerware and kitchen tools are packed into shelves and rows of displays too numerous to peruse in one visit. Upstairs there’s more. It goes on and on. Food and shopping combine two of my favorite activities!

Duck and Decanter, affectionately known as "the Duck", was the first to provide central Phoenix with unique epicurean services such as wine tastings, a wine bar, and an espresso bar. Over the years, the Duck has earned over fifty prestigious awards from local and national periodicals and associations such as Mobil Travel Guide and Zagats. The awards certificates are lined up on the walls side to side and run on forever!

No doubt I was in for a treat for the taste buds. You order at the counter and they call your name when your sandwich is freshly made. A case of salads was intriguing with so many from which to choose.

I tried the southwest pasta salad with THE CLASSIC REUBEN $6.25 Choice of Corned beef or Pastrami, I took the Pastrami. Swiss cheese, sauerkraut relish, and thousand island dressing. I had it on an onion roll. Delicious!

My friend had the CHICKEN SALADS $7.25 Your choice between Creamy garlic with herbs, Curry with raisins, or Sonoran with spicy oil & vinegar. She had the Creamy garlic and it had a nice mild pleasant garlic and herb taste. It was nothing that overwhelmed, but gave good flavor. She also had the potato salad and it was nice. Nothing spectacular but very pleasant.

Their website at www.duckanddecanter.com lists a huge selection of cheese and catering options. I can see why the Duck has remained a favorite for so long. The Duck has remained jubilant for over three decades in a unique market because of its strong customer base. Customers who realize it is not only the quality of the goods they purchase, but it is the experience as well. I will be back often!

Author: LeeAnn Sharpe is freelance writer/photographer in Glendale Arizona and can be reached at www.leeannsharpe.com or lasharpe@cox.net.
###

No comments: